Regulatory Information

Download PDF

Regulatory Information

We can help you navigate the various regulations with regard to producing your project here in Oregon. From insurance questions to the legal use of drones, we are here to help.

  • Production Insurance

    All Federal, State, and community agencies/organizations within Oregon require production companies to provide a certificate of insurance prior to filming within their jurisdiction. The amount of coverage required varies by municipality.

    The state of Oregon requires a minimum liability coverage of $4 million, naming the agency/organization and its employees as additionally insured.

    Production Insurance Requirements (PDF) here.

  • The Use of Drones

    The flying of drones for commercial purposes is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) throughout the United States. Therefore, the flight of drones for commercial purposes without specific FAA approval violates current FAA regulations.

    If you intend to use drones, it is up to you to verify that the drone operator you engage is authorized by the FAA and any applicable state law to operate drones. It is also up to you to verify that such authorization is for the purpose for which you engage the drone operator. This is an important detail because while operators may be granted an exemption to operate drones for motion picture, television and new media filming, still photography and ”aerial cinematography,” there are also exemptions for other purposes not related to filming, such as aerial surveillance of pipelines, crops, real estate, etc. You will also need to verify if other permits, exceptions or permissions are needed for your specific use as may be mandated by the FAA or other applicable law.

    In Oregon, House Bill 2710 was passed in 2015 which requires Oregon public bodies to register Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) with the Oregon Department of Aviation (ODA). Contact ODA directly via for more information.

    Again, it is up to you to make sure that the drone operator you engage may lawfully provide the service.

    As the FAA continues to grant exemptions and certificates at a fast rate, it's difficult for Oregon Film to keep our updates current. Therefore, if you're looking for a specific drone operator, you can check their 333 exemption status by visiting the FAA's website directly. Or, if you have an interest in becoming a pilot, you can also check out the FAA's rules and process for obtaining a Remote Pilot Certificate.

  • Additional Drone Information (Links)

    FAA Small Unmanned Aircraft Rules: LINK

    FAA Drone Pilot & Aircraft Requirements: LINK

    Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions: LINK

    FAA Waivers to Certain Small UAS Operating Rules: LINK

    Summary of Major Provisions for the FAA’s Proposed Rules for UAS: LINK

    FAA's rules and process for obtaining a Remote Pilot Certificate LINK

    FAA's list of Companies granted 333 exemption status LINK

    Preemption of local laws regulating drones (State of Oregon): LINK

    Approved Test Flight Centers in Oregon: LINK

    Some helpful insights on drone use and piloting: LINK

  • Oregon Laws About Employing Minors

    Here is a link to FAQs about working with minors in the state of Oregon. For the most up-to-date information about the employment of minors we recommend visiting the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI), Wage and Hour Division and request a packet containing complete information. You can also write to the office at 800 NE Oregon St. #1045, Portland, OR 97232, or call them at 971/673-0761, fax 971/673-0769.

  • Independent Contractor vs Employee
    A worker who provides services for remuneration generally will be considered an employee by the courts and state regulatory agencies, unless that worker meets the criteria required of an “independent contractor” (or other exception) with the emphasis falling on the word “independent.” Find out more here.

Oregon Governor’s Office of Film & Television • 850 SE 3rd Ave, Suite 405 Portland 97214 • Phone: (971) 254-4020 • Email:
"Oregon Film" & logo and the "Oregon Made" stamp logo are trademarked by the Oregon Governor's Office of Film & Television.
All rights reserved.